Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Stories that impacted my life



by Lucy

It’s my turn to share with you which stories have impacted my life. You can look up Robin’s here and Jebraun’s here.
I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book – J.K. Rowling
Like every author or aspiring author will tell you, I like to read. And though I have a list of titles that have touched me on this journey called life, I’ve decided to narrow it down to two books only. 
I hope I temp you to read them if you haven’t already. *Wink*

            

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

         
I’ve reread this book multiple times. I love it.

If you’re not familiar with the plot, it’s a skillful retelling of the biblical story of Hosea and Gomer. The book of Hosea’s purpose is to show the relationship between God and the people of Israel. God tells Hosea, a righteous man, to marry Gomer, a prostitute, and she’s not a very lovable person.

In Redeeming Love, God tells farmer Michael Hosea to marry Angel. Angel is a hardened, unlovable wreck. Sold into prostitution as a child, she's broken goods. She keeps hurting Michael, and God continues to tell Michael to take her back and love her.

This story is about GRACE and PATIENCE. Not only grace received from God, but also to show grace to our fellow man, to be gracious to their flaws and struggles as they plod along in this sometimes difficult road we call life. To be patient with them as they stumble every so often. It reminds me about the work God is doing in every person ‘behind the scene’.

Redeeming Love is about LOVE. Real and pure LOVE. It shows how even the most unlovable persons’ defenses crumble in the face of love.

Picture of Redeeming Love :https://books.google.co.za/books/about/Redeeming_Love.html?id=I7eMlFZ-drcC&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

The Carpenter's Daughter by Jennifer Rodewald


"Well. She isn't very pretty."
“Nobody would look pretty in that getup ... Butch, I’m telling you. She’s just butch.” – The Carpenter’s Daughter


I’ve always struggled with insecurities and this book touched a special spot in my heart.

The story tackles a very intimate question. WHO AM I? You meet Sarah Sharpe, and embark with her on her journey of SELF-WORTH and her search for this answer to the question which haunts her.

There are few acceptable molds our current society gives us. Molds that seems to be impossible for the everyday person to fit into. If you don’t fit, you feel average, inadequate, unaccepted and flawed.

You try to gain approval and forget that your worth will never and should never be determined by a fellow flawed human being. The Carpenter’s Daughter is about Sarah fitting to God’s mold, a reminder that God is interested in the heart and not the exterior.
The Carpenter's Daughter


Do you have stories that have left their imprint on your soul? We would love to hear about it!

Until next time
Be Blessed

~Lucy

2 comments:

  1. Loved both of these books! Very impacting, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhhh!!! I'm psyched that you stopped by our blog, Janet! And even more so to know that we have favorite books in common ;)

      Delete

Please share your comments. We love to interact!